Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How do I change the default file name settings on my Nikon D40?

I want to change the file name structure of the images saved on my Nikon D40 to a file name that starts with the date (e.g. 20061226xxx.jpg). I'm not sure how to do this.How do I change the default file name settings on my Nikon D40?Don't think you can. Some newer cameras are storing the pictures under some date-based directories, but I highly doubt you can change how the camera saves the pictures. I'm nearly 100% certain you can't change the filenames the camera uses.How do I change the default file name settings on my Nikon D40?I think you can do it in your camera settings menu. Go to the %26quot;menu%26quot; button on the back of your camera, toggle left on the selection button and then down until you see the %26quot;tool%26quot; option . Toggle right, then up or down to the %26quot;folder%26quot; option and you should be able to start a new folder and call it whatever you want. I haven't done this on my D70 as of yet, I just always put them into a 2006 folder under %26quot;my pictures%26quot; on my computer and then I separate them into months from there. Good luck!



OK, I am adding on to my answer-- what you might want is an %26quot;album%26quot; software program such that you can tag all of your photos with names like %26quot;Hawaii%26quot;, %26quot;Johnny%26quot;, %26quot;New Year's%26quot;, etc. so that when you need a picture from your trip to Hawaii, you do a search for all Hawaii pictures and there you have them. The date remains imprinted on the file in case you need to search by a date.

No comments:

Post a Comment