Friday, June 3, 2011

How can I change the name of a documents and settings file ?

My laptop has returned from being repaired with a file in Documents and Settings named with the vendor's name - I bought it new and until it needed repairing this file bore my name. XP will not allow me to change the name. It is not absolutely vital to mankind for the name to be changed - it's just annoying and I would appreciate advice to solve the problem.

Thanks



EirwynHow can I change the name of a documents and settings file ?Go into the control panel and click on the User icon

Create a new user ID with administrator rights using the name you want

Shut down the computer

Log back in with the new ID

Go into the Documents and Setting directory

Open a window where you can see the old ID

Open a window where you can see the new ID

Copy whatever you want from the old id to the new one

At this point you can delete the unwanted old ID, but you might want to wait a week or so to be sure you everything first

Use the Control Panel and User icon to delete the unwanted old IDHow can I change the name of a documents and settings file ?go to run type in regedit then adjust be careful in there :)



You could call the guy and ask him how to remove his ad crap :)

No comments:

Post a Comment