Friday, September 23, 2011

How can I change my kids last name without bio dads consent?

My kids father changed his last name legally w/out informing me or his children. We were married and divorced in California and I have sole physical and legal custody. I currently live in Georgia. I attempted to have their last name changed to my maiden name, which I use. However, in Georgia I need bio dads consent eventhough he doesn't have legal/physical custody. Is there anyway around this?



I don't want my children to have a last name that neither of their parents have, but their dad refuses to consent to them having my last name. Once I found out from a friend that he changed his last name months prior, he stated he wanted to change our kids last name to his new name too. However, I don't believe him b/c he never even told me or our kids that he was planning on having his name changed. I had to call him to find out the truth months after everything was finalized.



Their father still lives in California and he rarely visits or speaks to them over the phone. The same behavior occured when we all lived in California approximately 20-minutes away. I bring the kids to California to visit every summer and he never spends more than 3-days with them out of the 2-weeks that we are there. At the most, they may have an over night visit w/him 1 night out of all that time. I encourage him to spend more time, but everything else he has going on seems more important. He will not give me his address, and uses a PO Box when he does send something in the mail. He always sends money to care for our children each month, but he has never paid the court ordered amount. He simply gives whatever amount he wants to. When I took him to court, he quit his job so that he wouldn't have to pay the stated amount. Since then I've left the situation alone. Whenever he wants to see or talk to the children I allow it, and I accept whatever amount he chooses to give without filing any legal complaint. Therefore, under the circumstances I feel he should consent to them having my last name. I think he is being so selffish about our kids name by not allowing them to have my last name. If they can't have his new name they have to remain with his old name until they turn 18. When I list on school documents and stuff the names of their parents, it will appear as though they are adopted b/c we all have different last names.



Their father's reason for changing his name was b/c he believes it is cursed due to the meaning of the name, his unsuccessful life, and his father's side of the family. So he came up with a crazy last name for himself that has a worse meaning than his original last name. My last name, however has a strong positive meaning. I looked up the meanings of all of our last names since he stated that was his reason. He doesn't want them having my last name b/c I'm a woman and he says he's the head of them. Well, from his behavior it's hard to tell that he's even the father. At any rate, is there anyway around getting his consent? Can I file for the name change in California since that is where we were married, divorced, legal/physical custody was determined, and our children were born? Our kids deserve to have at least one of their parents last names, this mess is crazy.How can I change my kids last name without bio dads consent?You need to talk to a lawyer that practices family law.How can I change my kids last name without bio dads consent?If the children don't have you rname, and they never see their father, who lives on the other side of the country, what possible difference can it make it they have HIS last name? To THEM, I mean, your bickering with your ex is irrelevant, you should be thinking of the kids. The fact is, it makes no difference to their lives if they carry your name or their dads, or another. Half the children out there have names different than at least one parent.



You need to file the name change in the place the children reside, and you have to live by THEIR rules. That means you need the father's permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment