Monday, September 19, 2011

What is the procedure for filing for a change of name?

I don't want to change it completely... I just want to legally use my nickname instead of my full name. How do I go about this and what possible complications could come out of this?What is the procedure for filing for a change of name?The procedure varies by state and, in some states, by county. Consult your local court clerk.What is the procedure for filing for a change of name?I don't know which state you're in, but where i live in NYS you have to go to court to change a name. Even if it is to change your legal name to your nickname. The only name change you don't have to go to Court for is when there was a spelling mistake and you're only correcting your name. It cost something like $65 to do a name change, and that is without hiring an attorney. The rules do not require you to hire an attorney and it is not a complicated thing to do. The Court will want to know if you're changing your name because of outstanding debt or liens agaisnt you, so if any of these exist you will have obstacles to overcome. Also, you will need to have a reasonable explanation for wanting to change your name. Hope this helps. Good luck.What is the procedure for filing for a change of name?you don't have to spell it out. just abbreviate it. for example if you have to spell violet Jane summer you would just signv.j.summer. i did that on my drivers license. my signature on it is abb. :) it works out well i use my nickname 4 letters as a name i use my initials as a legal signature.

No comments:

Post a Comment